INDIVISIBLE DULUTH

June 29, 2018

Rally to support immigrants June 30, 10am

Rally to support immigrants June 30, 10am.

Let’s all off us attend to make this a really big event.  Meet at the TC Courthouse steps, bring signs and enthusiasm, and wear white:

 

PastedGraphic-1.tiff

CALL TO ACTION:
RALLY:

Saturday, June 30 there will be a FAMILIES BELONG TOGETHER rally from 10 a.m. – 12 noon at the Traverse City Courthouse.
We will gather, enjoy music from Miriam Pico, and hear from speakers, including Dan O’Neil who is running for State Senator. Carpooling and bike riding is encouraged. It is CherryFest so it will be crazy downtown and we will have maximum visibility. Let’s show our guests and visitors what REAL DEMOCRACY LOOKS LIKE!

June 27, 2018

Notes from June 24, 2018 meeting at Horizon Books

 Indivisible TC Agenda

Horizons Bookstore – Lower Level

June 24, 2018

10:00 AM- 11:30 AM

Meeting Notes

1. CALL TO ORDER/WELCOME/GOOD NEWS: The VNP ballot proposal will be on the ballot. The policy of separating children has been rescinded. The Pride parade in Traverse City was huge and great fun. 

2. REPORTS:

  1. Chair – Several of Indivisible members attended the Benzie Democratic Party meeting in Lake Ann and were impressed with how well they all got along. They were very enthusiastic and have several events planned.

B.   Treasurer

C.   Secretary

D.   Outreach

3. ISSUES REPORTS:

Voters Not Politicians (VPN)/Voters’ Rights –They need canvassers now that it will be on the ballot. They are expecting lots of opposition and will fight back with people. There is a training session on June 27th at 4:30 at Oryana. You do need to go to the website of VNP and do an online review first. You must also register to be admitted to the review. Please go to website. I am sure they explain it there. Margaret Monsour is also a captain. 

District 1: Repeal and Replace Bergman –Slip Out the Back Jack : Matt Morgan’s campaign needs phone canvassers to call Democrats and urge them to write in his name on the primary. The office is at 1732 Barlow and they will work from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. every night until June 29th. It is an easy but vitally important thing to do. 

Environmental: Line 5 – Brenda & Berta: We are joining with other Indivisibles and FLW and Oil & Water Don’t Mix to educate people about Line 5 during the Cherry Festival, the Film Festival and Friday Night Live. We will walk in pairs with signs about Line 5 and engage with people to educate them. This Wednesday a sign up email will be sent. There will be a spot downtown with supplies that you pick up and drop off materials before and after your shifts. Watch for the email with the details. 

Sinclair Broadcasting: The group started with Huntington Bank and handing out handbills about Sinclair’s news slanting. They did this after they met with the local manager and did not get a call back from corporate. They are asking people to call both Channels 7 &4 as well as Huntington. They will be doing this again at the Huntington Bank on Front St on Wednesday June 27th from noon to 1 p.m. They meet at the Unitarian Universalist Church on Old Mission Peninsula Tuesday at 1:15. Serra Subaru may be next. Indivisibles in Rochester NY and Providence RI are also employing these tactics.

Gun Violence 

4. UNFINISHED BUSINESS:

A. Dates

Sunday July 15th at Workshop

Sunday July 29th probably at Workshop

August 5th and 19th at Workshop

September 9th and 23rd. May be at Horizons

Rest of Year is at Workshop on 1st & 3rd

5. NEW BUSINESS: 

A. Social Studies standards, Revised by Conservatives: There was an article in the Record Eagle on Sunday June 17th about some hard core conservatives trying to hijack the social studies standards revision. Bridge magazine is an online magazine that also has a good article on this attempt. You can comment on the MI Department of Education site. They are basically eliminating the civil rights and women’s rights from the curriculum and slanting it values hel 50 years ago. 

B. Progressives at Central High – Aidan Reed – Speak on June 24th¨: Natalie Smith came to speak to us about the group at TC Central HS. We are going to try to help them with speakers and support over the summer and next school year. They have done voter registration with free pizza and have several “Rights” groups. Jeff Leonhardt encouraged them to help get out the vote for the Millage renewal in August. Very positive experience to meet her and her mom. 

C. Gay Pride Week report

D. No one is above the law – Mueller Firing Watch

E. Zero Tolerance policy

6. OPEN MICROPHONE:– What are You Passionate About/ What New Information Do We Need?

  1. Moms Demand Action is having a meeting at Central United Methodist Church on Thursday June 28th from 6 to 7 p.m. They combat gun violence. 
  2. To contribute to helping defend the migrants at the southern border, consider RAICES. They are defending people all over this awful problem. They are a reputable group. 
  3. Stephen Miller’s phone number was given out and now has been disconnected. He was harassed. 
  4. Mother Jones magazine is seeking to Disarm Misinformation, especially things that might be planted by Russian trolls. Please send them tips at motherjones.com/spot-disinformation

 

7. ANNOUNCEMENTS: Next meeting is on: July 15th at Workshop Brewery

.

 

June 20, 2018

Agenda for June 24 meeting at Horizon

 Indivisible TC Agenda

Horizons Bookstore – Lower Level

June 24, 2018

10:00 AM- 11:30 AM

1. CALL TO ORDER/WELCOME/GOOD NEWS:

2. REPORTS:

  1. Chair 

B.   Treasurer

C.   Secretary

D.   Outreach

3. ISSUES REPORTS:

Voters Not Politicians (VPN)/Voters’ Rights

District 1: Repeal and Replace Bergman –Slip Out the Back Jack

Environmental: Line 5 – Brenda & Berta

Sinclair Broadcasting

Gun Violence 

4. UNFINISHED BUSINESS:

A. Dates

Sunday July 15th at Workshop

Sunday July 29th probably at Workshop

August 5th and 19th at Workshop

September 9th and 23rd. May be at Horizons

Rest of Year is at Workshop on 1st & 3rd

5. NEW BUSINESS: 

A. Social Studies standards, Revised by Conservatives

B. Progressives at Central High – Aidan Reed – Speak on June 24th

C. Gay Pride Week report

D. No one is above the law – Mueller Firing Watch

E. Zero Tolerance policy

6. OPEN MICROPHONE:– What are You Passionate About/ What New Information Do We Need?

 

7. ANNOUNCEMENTS: Next meeting is on: July 15th at Workshop Brewery

.

 

June 19, 2018

Stop the Trump Administration’s Tactic of Separation of Families

Suggested actions by GT Dems, courtesy of Sylvia McCullough:

DO NOT SAY there is “nothing you can do” about children and babies being ripped from their mothers’ arms and placed in internment camps. 

It’s not true. And, please understand that making people give up out of helplessness is a tactic this administration is using. 
You CAN make a call to your U.S. House and Senate members – 202-224-3121. 
You CAN use Resistbot to send a fax via text. 
You CAN write them an email by simply googling their official website and finding their “contact us” option. 
If you have even a dollar to spare, you CAN donate it to the ACLU which has sued on behalf of these families being illegally separated.

You CAN use your social media and your voices to bring greater awareness to this atrocity.

You CAN write a letter to the editor of your local, state or national newspaper (or hell, submit the same letter to all 3). 

You are NOT helpless. We are NOT helpless. 
Do what you can, where you are, with what you have.

June 12, 2018

On August 7, Write in Matt Morgan and Darken the box

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 3.08.10 PM.jpeg
Be sure to Write in Matt Morgan and darken the box as shown above when you vote in the August 7 primary election

June 4, 2018

Notes of June 3, 2018 meeting at the Workshop

June 3, 2018 Meeting Notes

I. Lynne called the meeting to order at 10am. The Workshop Brewery staff were thanked for the use of their space.

II. Steering Committee Reports

1. Chair:  Lynne requested that the steering committee meet regularly so that she can have help creating our meeting agendas.  After discussion, it was decided that the steering committee can communicate on-line.  Bill will create an email list of the 6 steering committee members (Lynne, Allen, Bill, Sylvia, Maggie, and Berta). Each of us will commit to emailing Lynne our ideas for items to be placed on the agenda at least a week ahead of our meetings (always cc’ing all steering committee members). Any Indivisible member can email a steering committee member re their ideas for any new business.  The agenda for each meeting will follow the same agenda as this week’s meeting (call to order, steering committee reports, issue reports, unfinished business, new business, open microphone, and other announcements). For all steering committee discussion, each of us will hit “reply to all.”

2. Treasurer: Allen announced there is now $375 in our account and there are no outstanding expenses. 

3. Secretary: Bill announced that he has PromoteTheVote petitions if anyone needs to sign.  He also stressed the need for everyone to be active in this 2018 election cycle, especially volunteering for our endorsed candidates (Dan O’Neil and Matt Morgan). Maggie added that Abdul el Sayed is also in need of more northern Michigan support. 

4. Outreach:  Maggie stated that there is now an excellent working relationship with Leelanau Indivisible and Indivisible GT.  The groups are all working together to support each others’ initiatives.

  

III. Issue Reports: 

1. VotersNotPoliticians (VNP): The VNP was finally placed on the Board of Canvassers agenda for the June 1 meeting, but then that meeting was cancelled.  It seems the intention of that Board is to keep delaying until September when they will be legally forced to act.  Not assigning a ballot number makes it more difficult to campaign in support of the ballot measure.  Each of us can contact the Board of Canvassers via the Bureau of Elections by calling (517) 373-2540 to insist they act responsibly and place the VNP proposal on the ballot without further delay. 

2. Repeal and replace Bergman: Matt Morgan’s name will not be on the primary ballot.  His campaign is working on a strategy that will broadcast how to successfully vote for him as a write-in candidate.  He will need at least 3000 votes to be listed as the Democratic candidate for District I on the November ballot.  The goal will be to achieve at least 6000 write-in votes to avoid his candidacy being overruled. Once the campaign announces their strategy and releases the appropriate campaign materials, Indivisible members are all encouraged to do what they can to spread the message.  

3. Environment/Line 5: Brenda and Berta reported on the May 29, rally/protest against the Mackinac Policy Conference, sponsored by Enbridge.  Neither Flow nor Oil and Water Don”t Mix were invited to speak.  There were more than 100 people in Mackinac City in front of the boat docks with signs and others went to Mackinac Island.  There was obvious support of passing motorists, significant press coverage, and Jim Lively was busy all day giving interviews.

4. Sinclair Broadcasting: Ted reported that our plan has been initiated.  About 9-10 teams are visiting 7&4 advertisers.  At the next meeting of Concerned Citizens for Fair Broadcasting (at 1:15pm on Tuesday, June 12), directly after Indivisible GT’s meeting at the Unitarian Universalist church, the group will decide on the next actions to take with the advertisers that do not respond to our requests. Everyone is invited to attend and all of our members will be notified when a group action is planned.

5. Gun safety: Maggie reported that the Wear Orange event at the Right Brain Brewery, organized by the group, Mothers Demand Action was very well attended (good job, Meredith). TC’s mayor was present and spoke out in favor of making this an annual event. Children created a banner about preventing gun violence, and Lynne and John DeSpelder spoke about what our Indivisible groups are doing. Since Dicks Sporting Goods stopped selling assault-style rifles, their income has gone up, as people are supporting this socially-responsible action. 

IV. Unfinished Business:

1. New Sunday meeting dates for our meetings in the upcoming months (all begin at 10am):

June 24 at Horizon Books

July 15 and 29 at Workshop Brewery

August 5 and 19, location to be determined

September:  still to be decided

October until the year’s end: the first and third Sundays at the Workshop Brewery 

2. After the hundreds of emails Brenda and her team sent out regarding Line 5 being a conceivable terrorist target, only Senator Stabenow responded.  Stabenow said she would ask the Dept of Homeland Security to investigate and would follow-up with us regarding how they respond.

V. New Business:

1. Aidan Reed, a Central High student and a few of his progressive-minded, student friends will speak at our June 24 meeting.  They are eager to meet local progressive activists.

2. Some nurses have indicated a desire for have help with their union issues in dealing with the Munson Hospital administration.  The nurses currently have a union, but are struggling to obtain a contract.  The hospital has hired an anti-union lawyer and they seem to be involved in stretching the talks out, hoping to split the group so the union will be voted out.  

VI. Open Microphone:

  1. Berta and Brenda commented that people in the lower portion of Michigan are mostly unaware of the Line 5 issue and the immense damage a pipeline rupture could cause.  They proposed that we initiate a program to  educate and encourage TC visitors to vote only for candidates who support shutting down Line 5 now.  The members today voted to support this effort. Local indivisible members will be asked to sign up for volunteer shifts during our busiest summer days (Cherry Festival, Film Festival, and the four Front Street Friday Night Lives). Volunteers will wear a sign saying Shut Down Line 5 and will pass out fliers that FLOW will create that state both the reasons Line 5 needs immediate decommissioning and the importance of voting for candidates who agree.  Berta and Brenda will attend Indivisible GT and Leelanau to get their members on-board and will work with Oilandwaterdon’tmix.com to get other Indivisible groups involved in a similar effort in their communities.  Volunteers will sign up for half-day shifts to engage with visitors on Front Street on these 18 festival days,

2. Maggie reported on the WCMU gubernatorial candidate debate, televised on May 30.  She said that  Adbul spoke out clearly for progressive issues, such as health care as a right, shutting down Line 5, and gun safety. 

3. Carol strongly recommended a May 30, 2018 NYT’s article “Sounding the Code Red”, by Thomas Friedman which states in no uncertain terms the need of to engage all citizens to vote the Congressional Republicans out of power if we are to save our democracy.

4. Jeff led an excellent discussion on the importance of watching our language and using words meaningfully.  The CMU gubernatorial event was a discussion, not a debate; often laws are protections, not regulations; we should use the term gun safety, not gun control; it’s right to unionize not right to work; and some immigrants are undocumented, not illegal.  He has realized that the root causes of our current problems include income inequality, campaign finance rules, gerrymandering, voter suppression, and racial and gender inequality.  Beneath these lay the human proclivity for greed, hatred, fear, and delusion. 

5. Lynne announced her fundraising event for tonight for Matt Morgan at her condo clubhouse at Brookside Commons at 4155 Sprucewood Drive. 

VII. Announcements:

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 10:28am.  The next meeting of Indivisible 

TC will be on June 24 at Horizon Books basement at 10am.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Gittlen, Secretary.